Air Source Heat Pumps
Air source heat pumps are a viable alternative to gas boilers for many new builds and renovations, a popular renewable heat technology, with low running costs they harness the energy present in the outside air to heat your home. This low carbon heating solution can save money on your energy bills as well as reducing your carbon footprint against fossil fuels as it can produce around 3 to 4 times more power (in the form of heat) than they consume in electricity.
How an ASHP Works
An air source heat pump (ASHP) works by transferring heat absorbed from the outdoor air to an indoor medium. An air to water heat pump transfers this heat to a hot water tank to use for space heating and domestic hot water. It does not create heat, it simply moves it from one place to another through a vapour compression cycle to make it usable.
The fan on the outdoor unit forces air through a heat exchanger (evaporator) containing a refrigerant, in liquid form, with an incredibly low boiling temperature. The heat from the air gets absorbed into the refrigerant which causes it to ‘boil’ and become vapour.
This vapour then heads into the compressor where it is turned into a high pressure and high temperature vapour and sent to a second heat exchanger (evaporator).
On the evaporator the refrigerant gives its heat to water that is being cycled through the other side of the heat exchanger and becomes once again a liquid that heads back to the condenser where it can start a new cycle. The water that gained heat from the refrigerant on the evaporator is then used for space heating or to heat a domestic hot water cylinder.
Most air source heat pumps can also run in reverse and provide chilled water that can be used for cooling purposes.
Buffer cylinders for heat pump heating systems; also suitable for cooling mode. They enable hydraulic separation of the liquid flowing in the heat pump and heating circuit, to extend heat pump runtimes and store heating energy. For use in detached and two-family houses, depending on nominal capacity.
- 207L Buffer cylinder for integration into the heating system.
- Low standby losses thanks to highly effective thermal insulation.
- Suitable for cooling due to diffusion-proof complete foam application, therefore, can be used for heating and cooling.
- Accessories such as threaded immersion heaters can be installed.
- The casing can be removed during handling if required.
The HMS and HMS Trend hydraulic module series simplifies the integration of air/water heat pumps into the system hydraulics and are equipped with an appliance cover with high-quality paint finish. This allows many components to be installed directly in a single step.
Stiebel Eltron HMS Trend features include:
- The heat pump and cylinder module can be connected to a water-bearing pipe.
- For simplified installation of air/water heat pumps.
- Compact design for a small footprint.
- With 24 l heating expansion vessel.
- Integral central heating/DHW diverter valve.
- WPM heat pump manager included.
The Stiebel Eltron WPM system is a radical new control concept. The comprehensive functions of the WPM standard module can be extended with WPE modules and the FET remote control. All of these components can be conveniently connected to one another via the system bus.
Stiebel Eltron WPM features include:
- Heat pump manager in a designer wall mounting enclosure
- Cooling control function
- Screed heat-up program
The WPM system is a radical new control concept. The comprehensive functions of the WPM standard module can be extended with WPE modules and the FET remote control.
Stiebel Eltron FET features include:
- Room based remote control with thermostat function for the WPM.
- Touch wheel operation.
- Room temperature and humidity measurement.
- Easy adjustment of the comfort temperature.
A matching programming unit is now available for our advanced heat pumps. Using your tablet or desktop PC, you can operate your heat pump, make settings, and access the new SERVICEWELT. If you wish, you can access your system via your smartphone or simply check that everything is running smoothly.
Stiebel Eltron ISG Web (Internet Service Gateway) features include:
- The internet service gateway as a web interface.
- Can be connected to the router of the home network.
- Device settings with your standard browser via an integral web interface.
- Communication with the STIEBEL ELTRON customer service centre.
- Option to control the system via a smartphone web app.
Other Ventilation Products
At CVC Ltd we design, deliver and install your complete ventilation project or heating recovery system. Take a look at some of the other ventilation products that we can install in your next home. If you’d like advice on selecting the right home ventilation solution, please get in touch.